Thursday 24 August 2017

More Sock Knitting

Hello, thanks for calling in, it's lovely to see you here.  It's also been lovely to have a bit of sunshine at last, the garden has really welcomed it and so have I. 
 
When I showed you the Peacock Socks I knitted for a friend, I told you that she bought me some Drops Fabel wool so that I could knit a pair of socks for myself.  Here it is, called, rather unimaginatively, Green Print (542).  Honestly, where do they get these names from??
 
 
When I saw it, my immediate reaction was, "Ooh, Mossy Woodland".  I love a walk in the woods with dark, shady bowers, dappled glades where the sun peeps through the canopy, making the leaves glow where it lands, and soft cushions of moss on the north side of the trees, hiding from the sun.  I thought a pair of Mossy Woodland socks would suit me right down to the ground.  However, once I had knitted enough for the pattern to emerge I realised that it wasn't a woodland at all because it was just too stripey!  The rows were too neat, too geometric, too regular, too cultivated, not an organic, sprawling woodland shape at all
 
 
 
I knew that these socks were weaving their own story but it was just out of reach and that bothered me, niggling away until at last I realised: they are Somerset Socks.  We have visited the Somerset Levels for the last two years during the school holidays at the end of May.  These socks were showing me those views: the regular shapes caused by the hedgerows enclosing the fields and the drains and ditches which take away the excess water, the dark lines of trees rising above the white mist in the early morning, narrow lanes lined with green hedges and creamy cow parsley, yellow fields of buttercups and all the shades of green we saw as the sap was rising and foliage was bursting with vitality and growth.  Yep, these are most definitely Somerset Socks.
 




 
I do rather love these.  For all I am drawn to rich, warm colours, I like the muted nature of these colours working together, they seem quite modest, shy, even.  Shy Somerset Socks.

See you soon.
 
Love, Mrs Tiggywinkle x


14 comments:

  1. I envy people who can knit! Love the idea of Somerset Level socks, we love the Levels, such a place of mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never been until last year, Janet, and I was smitten. The campsite we stay on has amazing views across to Glastonbury Tor - so much myth and legend is held there. I love it. x

      Delete
  2. Such beautiful yarn that created its own story in the end. Definataly not what I had envisaged when I first saw the yarn but a great finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am fascinated by the way these self-striping yarns look so different once they are knitted up, you really can't tell what they are going to look like. It's good to see you again after your family travels. x

      Delete
  3. I can definitely see Somerset! They are lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somerset or woodland, they are lovely and seeing them I now "get" why people knit socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sugar! Honestly, I find it quite addictive and it's exciting wondering how the pattern is going to appear, it's a very portable project and they fit my feet perfectly - what's not to love about it?! x

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you. They have kept my feet very cosy this weekend while we were camping. x

      Delete
  6. I made socks once, but I didn't know about negative ease at the time. They are fine when I put them on, but stretch out too big if I try to put them in shoes. Oh well. They're good for bed socks. Yours look really neat. I like the colorway you chose.



    Please drop by and say hello!
    ஐღLaura ღஐ
    Harvest Lane Cottage
    ...doing what I can with what I've got where I am
    on a short shoestring budget!
    ~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. It's lovely to see you here, you are very welcome. I don't think I know about negative ease? x

      Delete
  7. Green Print (542) to Shy Summerset, a much nicer outcome. A sock knitting lesson and time would be very welcome 😉

    ReplyDelete